Using release plugin 2.1:

org.apache:apache:7 uses <arguments> to turn on a profile. I don't
want that profile in prepare. I have another profile I'd like instead.

So, I've got ..

                <plugin>
                    <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
                    <version>2.1</version>
                    <configuration>
                        <arguments>-P!apache-release,everything</arguments>
                        <useReleaseProfile>true</useReleaseProfile>

<releaseProfiles>release,mahout_release,release_perform</releaseProfiles>
                        <remoteTagging>true</remoteTagging>
                        <goals>deploy</goals>
                        <autoVersionSubmodules>true</autoVersionSubmodules>

<allowTimestampedSnapshots>true</allowTimestampedSnapshots>
                    </configuration>
                </plugin>

Evidence suggests that the release profiles are not being activated.
Does a -P in arguments disable releaseProfiles altogether somehow?