On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Jon Paynter <kittl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So do you have parallel streams of development all shooting for a common
> release date?  Or do you have parallel releases with  seperate dates --
> usually one occurring after the next in time.

Usually most devs working on a given product are working on the same
branch, or at most two branches, but there are also several different
products, all of which make use of certain shared components.
Sometimes products are released together, but often there are
different release dates.

> If parallel development, just put each stream in its own branch, and set the
> affected version to a snapshot.  Hand that off to a developer and wait.
>  When the developer hands the completed code back, merge the branch into the
> trunk/main/master branch and increment or change the version of the
> artifacts they updated.    Repeat until everyone is done, then hand it over
> to QA.

That's fine.  Yeah, having developers work on a branch until finished
then merge back to the trunk is a good practice I think.  But I don't
think that necessarily solves the issues with dependency management
we've been talking about.

> The key here is to let your SCM keep track of the various versions of pom
> files and dependencies via braching, and then merge it all back together
> when the development task is done.

But while work is being done on several different branches, what do we
do with the parent pom?  If we have dependency management in there, we
either have to create several branches to maintain it (seems really
complicated), or try to manage information about all dependencies on
all branches at once (also seems complicated).

I'm thinking it will be easier to just manage the dependency versions
inside the individual poms, which of course the SCM keeps track of on
all the different branches.

Phillip