I'm having an issue with marking my repository as
<updatePolicy>never</updatePolicy>. It seems as though even with the never
parameter, the first time a SNAPSHOT artifact is referenced, an initial check
to the remote repo happens. After that, the metadata.xml is created locally and
further checks for updates don't occur.

situation:
artifactB depends on artifactA-SNAPSHOT

Procedure:
1) install artifactA locally
2) build artifactB locally, with repo updatepolicy never. The hope would be
that the locally installed artifactA will be used, without ever contacting the
remote repository.

result:
Maven goes to the remote repository to get info on artifactA ("checking for
updates") If there is a newer than local version, it is downloaded.
metadata.xml is created locally with name maven-metadata-<repoid>.xml

This is causing me all kinds of headaches. Is it working as designed? I would
think updatePolicy=never should never check for updates if there is a local
copy.

Can someone point me to the code that is making the decision to Check for
Updates?

thanks in advance