Sorry for this newbie question:

A project depends on some classes from a *.jar archive which are NOT available
through the common, well known Internet Maven Repsoitories.

I want to add these *.jar files to my local Repository manually.

Can I just copy the *.jars into the local repository folder?

As far as I can see there are currently NO *.jar files. All such dependent
*.jars are in "exploded"/ectracted format.

Does Maven auto-recognize new *.jar files and automatically extract them into
their subfolders in repository folder?

Or do I have to extract *.jar files manually and copy the directory tree
manually?

Do I have to tell Maven (in eclipse) that there are new artifacts in local
repository?

Ben