We have adopted this approach with separate projects for
- JSF
- Spring, Hibernate, MySQL, Tomcat
- JasperReports
- CXF
 - Generall shared libraries - mostly Apache
- Our own utilities
This came about over a 3 year period where we have developed and supported a major e-learning portal.
It has served us well and made everything much easier and more predictable.

It is almost essential if you want rapid development and release.

Ron