Yeah I like the idea about writing my own maven-plugin, its about time
I get around to do that :-) But why add all the complexity of:

http://groovy.codehaus.org/Using+Ant+from+Groovy

http://code.google.com/p/indoorsdog/source/browse/jacoco/trunk/jacoco-maven-plugin/src/main/groovy/org/indoorsdog/jacoco/maven/plugin/internal/AgentMojo.groovy

which was Luke's initial suggestion?

I don't want to modify the ant-run-plugin I just want to execute  a
specific sequence of tasks for the existing implementation of ant-run
and encapsulate this in a plugin that can be used during the build
phase for a bunch of projects.

>From this link:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/plugin/guide-java-plugin-development.html

this basically just boils down to create a pom file with
<packaging>maven-plugin</packaging> and then just add whatever needs
to be done. This "custom" plugin can then be included in another
project.

Here is an example pom file which defines a few tasks:

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd";>
        <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
         <groupId>com.test.maven.plugins</groupId>
        <artifactId>my-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
        <packaging>maven-plugin</packaging>
        <dependencies>
                <dependency>
                        <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
                        <artifactId>maven-plugin-api</artifactId>
                        <version>2.0</version>
                </dependency>
        </dependencies>
        <build>
                <plugins>
                        <plugin>
                                <version>1.6</version>
                                <executions>
                                        <execution>
                                                <id>test</id>
                                                <phase>deploy</phase>
                                                <goals>
                                                        <goal>run</goal>
                                                </goals>
                                                <configuration>
                                                        <tasks>

                                                                <!-- run task
A, B and C-->
                                                        </tasks>
                                                </configuration>
                                        </execution>
                                </executions>
                                <dependencies>
                                        <dependency>

<groupId>org.apache.ant</groupId>

<artifactId>ant-jsch</artifactId>
                                                <version>1.8.1</version>
                                        </dependency>
                                </dependencies>
                        </plugin>
                </plugins>
        </build>
</project>

Then in another project I just add the above plugin to the build phase:

  <build>
    <plugins>
                        <plugin>
                                <groupId>com.test.maven.plugins</groupId>
                                <artifactId>my-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                                <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
                        </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

Unfortunately the "my-maven-plugin" never gets executed when the
project using the plugin is deployed. Any suggestion why this simple
approach does not work?