I'll try to address some of your questions/concerns/suggestions with info on
what I see as practical/supported/reasonable today.  I'll leave the bigger
philosophical and architectural ruminations to those more qualified.  (I
will say though that you might be interested in the "composition versus
inheritance" topic at:
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/11/maven-3x-paving-the-desire-lines-part-one-2/)

antrun isn't for creating build logic that _non-inheriting_ poms can use.
e.g. references like ${project.artifactId} always refer to the
containing/inheriting pom, and are only relevant/resolved/evaluated when the
antrun:run goal is executed on the containing/inheriting pom.  the
antrun:run goal only executes the logic when the containing/inheriting pom
is going through _its_build_process_, not when some other pom depends
(either through <dependency> or <plugin>) on it.

the quickest way to slap together some ant and wrap a maven plugin around it
is to either use
groovy+antdsl: http://groovy.codehaus.org/Using+Ant+from+Groovy
or
ant-based-plugin:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/plugin/guide-ant-plugin-development.html

I mentioned the groovy+antdsl route because it seems easier and more
powerful to me.  You don't have to manually construct the plugin metadata
file (you have to with direct ant-based plugins) and you can use all your
java/groovy/ant knowledge and capability together in the same source file.