Evgeny Goldin wrote:

> I think this issue opens a wider one: does Maven treat properties like a
> mutable variables ...

Yeah, it would be nice to have some middle ground for allowing plugins to
help configure other plugins.  Right now the "Maven Way" is to use the file
system, right?  The file system route makes if difficult if the plugin
doesn't "opt-in" to that configuration method.

A great use-case for this dynamic property stuff is seen when wrapping the
JaCoCo code coverage library in a plugin.  One of the beauties of that
library is that it pretty much stays out of the way of your testing
configuration except for needing a vm arg instrumentation entry.

When working on the Maven plugin to wrap the library, I really just want to
help the user configure the vm args, and don't want to get in the business
of launching testing frameworks.  Ideally, I would just ask the user for the
property name they want me to configure (e.g. argLine from surefire), and my
plugin would simply help set that property value.

The general argument against dynamic properties is that they make the build
configuration less declarative, right?