It's my understanding that timestamp snapshots should only exist in remote
snapshot repositories and are created when doing a mvn deploy.

What I see though is timestamp snapshots downloaded into my local repository
when doing mvn install.

Here the test case:
artifact a (jar) depends on artifact b (jar) both are snapshots and they
both inherit from maven's default super pom (i.e. no company's super pom is
used). also they have different groupId.

I first deploy artifact a, then pretending to be a different developer I
delete artifact from my local repository and install artifact b, I now see
artifact a timestamp snapshot (a-1.0.0-20110302.155002-4.jar) downloaded in
my local repository.

If a deploy several times artifact a and each time install artifact b, I end
up with several timestamp snapshots in my local repository
(a-1.0.0-20110302.155504-8.jar, a-1.0.0-20110302.155739-11.jar,
a-1.0.0-20110302.160157-17.jar).

Also to be noted the jumps in the version of the timestamp (4, 8, 11, 17),
although the remote snapshot repository contains all the versions from 4 up
to 17.

Is this the intended behavior in mvn 3, a bug or something I missed?

Using:
mvn 3.0.2
nexus 1.9.0.1