Thanks a real lot James :
I was not aware of maven.repo.local ( although I was aware of teh
setting.xml optio to specify the local repository ). We have decided to use
this.

1. "which gives other benefits other than just its safe"
Do you mind explaining some of the other benefits we might reap with
seperate local repo.

2. While looking up the maven.repo.local, you mentioned, I came across
maven.repo.remote, which takes multiple comma seperated URLs. I was
wondering if I could use a file:/// style URL on this. So that we can have a
single read-only secondary local repository, hosting all teh third party
software and plugins ( without having to host them in a internal corporate
web server )

( different maven.repo.local for each instances will require teh same
thirdparty software/plugins to be duplicated in multiple places )

--sony