I keep getting

12/05/11 3:17:12 PDT PM: Could not read settings.xml, assuming default values

Now for the back-story. Everything was fine, I am using Sonatype m2e and love it. I also have the regular maven release installed, although that is not a requirement for m2e.

I've been trying to get NPanday 1.4.0 working in Visual Studio 2010 and it kept complaining that it could not find a settings.xml file. Well, guess what you don't need one in your .m2 folder, but NPanday thinks you do. Anyway, I copied the default one from the standard Maven release to .m2 and that makes NPanday happy, but it makes m2e very unhappy. If I remove the file then m2e is happy but NPanday is not.

I can only assume that Sonatype have a different default settings.xml than the standard Maven release, but I'm surprised to see they are so incompatible. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way for me to harmonize things that makes both m2e and NPanday happy?

Cheers, Eric