Hi,

So the first part of the problem is the zip contains multiple rar files, but
only one needs to be unpacked and tinkered with.

the maven-external-dependency-plugin might fit the bill: <http://code.google.com/p/maven-external-dependency-plugin/>. If the RAR file is not found in the local repository, the plugin tries to download the ZIP file, extracts the RAR, and installs it in your local repository. You would then bind dependency:unpack to a later phase, referring to the RAR artifact just installed. (I use this plugin in a similar way, with dependency:copy: <https://bitbucket.org/scalabench/scalac-dacapo-benchmark/src/4dac488d735c/pom.xml#cl-246>.)

The only issue <http://code.google.com/p/maven-external-dependency-plugin/issues/detail?id=8> I have found so far with the maven-external-dependency-plugin is that it doesn't work well with Maven 3 if the artifacts you want to extract (RARs in your case) are among the project dependencies. Unlike Maven 2, Maven 3 seems to resolve all project dependencies first, before any lifecycle phases are executed; thus, the maven-external-dependency-plugin doesn't get a chance of installing the missing dependencies first. This is not a problem when using dependency:copy or dependency:unpack, however.

I hope this helps.

Andreas Sewe