In that case, how does one handle a single module build that produces
multiple artefacts? Is this 'not the Maven way'? What about multi-platform
builds? What about multiple output types (header files, DLLs, import
libraries and JNI JARs)?

I'm getting very confused by this, because the 'Maven way' seems to indicate
that I should have the following:

imaging-core-win32-x86-dll
imaging-core-win32-x86-lib
imaging-core-win32-x64-dll
imaging-core-win32-x64-lib
imaging-core-osx-x86-so
imaging-core-osx-x64-so
imaging-core-linux-glibc22-x86-so
imaging-core-jar
imaging-core-includes

as separate *modules* and then build each of these separately, rather than
simply building several things with different classifiers. That is a
nightmare. Maven must surely be suitable for more than collections of JARs.
What have I missed?
--
David