Thanks Stephen, where can I find out more info about "forking Maven 3"?

To give some context, I am trying to resolve this bug in the Groovy jira
(2.1.3 still has this problem):
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GROOVY-4562

My guess is that we may be hitting:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4738

This seems to be "fixed in Maven 3" and seems to reside in the
"maven-compat" artifact but naive attempts to include that jar in the
classpath just result in what appear to be API changes:

Caught: : java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.maven.settings.RuntimeInfo.<init>(Lorg/apache/maven/settings/Settings;)V
: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.maven.settings.RuntimeInfo.<init>(Lorg/apache/maven/settings/Settings;)V
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:116)
        at MavenAntTasks$_run_closure1.doCall(MavenAntTasks.groovy:19)
        at MavenAntTasks.run(MavenAntTasks.groovy:16)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.maven.settings.RuntimeInfo.<init>(Lorg/apache/maven/settings/Settings;)V
        at
org.apache.maven.artifact.ant.AbstractArtifactTask.readSettings(AbstractArtifactTask.java:382)
        at
org.apache.maven.artifact.ant.AbstractArtifactTask.loadSettings(AbstractArtifactTask.java:311)
        at
org.apache.maven.artifact.ant.AbstractArtifactTask.initSettings(AbstractArtifactTask.java:278)

I have been through the usage pages for the ant tasks but can't seem to find
anything that will point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Paul