Well m-a-t shades the maven classes that it uses inside the m-a-t jar
file... so adding maven 3 jars to the classpath will have no effect.

By forking I meant the artifact:mvn task:
http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks/examples/mvn.html

which can be used to fork a m2 or m3 build and will handle downloading
the version of maven you require from the central repository for you.

I suspect that the best you could do is provide an equivalent patch
for MNG-4738 against the m2 codebase... I know there _may_ be a 2.2.2
release in the nearish future (if there are enough issues with fixes)
and that would give scope for a quick fix to the m-a-t issue....
moving m-a-t to the m3 codebase requires a bit more work, so might
take longer.

-Stephen