No, I just don't understand what it is that is a problem. Have you
tried moving the profile from the parent pom to the core pom? Doesn't
that work?

It's often better trying to explain what you want to accomplish
instead of trying to get help for the (possibly) wrong solution you
have. I'm not saying you're solution is necessarily wrong, but having
profiles is IMHO a good way of getting into problems.

/Anders