That won't work.  Maven keeps internal lists of these kind of things, and the
plugins contribute to it.  So for instance, the compiler plugin adds the
location it put the compiled objects to the list.  It generally doesn't make
sense for these lists to be accessible outside the plugin space.

You could make a command-line system property ("-D") that is used in the plugin
description with interpolation, but the plugin still needs to be there in the
POM to do something with the system property you define.