On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The standard directories layout
>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
>> lists what you are looking for.
>
> It lists only some of the standard files and paths.
> For example it does not list src/changes/changes.xml

Yes, that's because the changes plugin defines this location.
See
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-changes-plugin/examples/alternate-changes-xml-location.html
As do all the other plugins for non-core locations.

I don't think the meta-information about locations is available to
Maven from the plugins, each plugin defines its own configuration and
Maven doesn't interpret that in anyway.
You would have to bake each plugin's default layouts into your
standard directory plugin checker.

>> It's just as quick to visually inspect them.
>
> Maybe if one knows the locations by heart, and does not have lots of
> projects to check.
>
>> And the only way to know if they are using non-standard directories
>> would be if the pom defined those non-standard directories, otherwise
>> maven wont know about them.
>
> Again, that involves more work than running a plugin; poms can be
> large and don't have a standard order of top-level entries.

I hear you that this is a lot of work, but I'm still trying to
understand why you want to do this.
Not using the standard directories is a pain, but its a once off configuration.

> Also, Maven seems to be able to detect certain non-standard directory
> locations.
>
> For example, Commons DbUtils currently uses src/java and src/test, and
> the pom does not define these locations, yet Maven can compile the
> source and tests.

It's defined in the pom, see
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/dbutils/trunk/pom.xml
<build>
<sourceDirectory>src/java</sourceDirectory>
<testSourceDirectory>src/test</testSourceDirectory>

>> I guess the tool could also help you migrate to the standard layout...
>
> The intention was to produce a compliance report, a sort of checkstyle
> for the layout.
> You could then decide what fixes to make.

I definitely agree, life is easier when the defaults are used.
But once configured its done and can be ignored again.

And my fingers definitely twitch to relocation the code to the default
locations, but unless I'm the admin of that project the inertia is
normally too great to see this change occur.