I don't think so unless the tomcat plugin can be configured to use it.
Using a separate properties file is IMHO not a good idea, for reasons
you now see. And there are even worse examples where you could
effectively be distributing a non-working pom making people using your
artifact lives' miserable.

Keep everything in the POM,
/Anders