Heh - yeah a quick look at the docs and it says:

   - Requires a Maven 2.0 project to be executed.
   - Since version: 1.0-alpha-2.
   - Invokes the execution of the lifecycle phase package prior to executing
   itself.

There's no mention of forking and all the documentation around this plugin
kinda stinks.

Cargo is also a great option but one of the things we try to do is load
property files from a jar and put the results into the reactor.

I think this functionality is gone in maven 3 though....