Well you are sort of right. Let me clarify.

1. yes.. Google/Android does not publish to Maven Central (although imho they should)

2. the android4maven project, led by Robert Manning, and myself got the android jar and some others into Maven central. This is done off the Android Open Source Project and google allowed us to push into their namespace (this is the class skeleton stuff - the android jar in the SDK does not have any implementations)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/android4maven/

3. since Android 3.0 (api level 11) and beyond are not in AOSP these are not in central, same applies for the compatibility package, maps and others

4. My Maven Android SDK Deployer can install the android.jar, maps.jar and the compatibilty jar files into your local maven repo or into a local repository server so you can use it in a team easily. This allows you to develop with any API published in the SDK including Android 3.0 and up and the compatibility package
https://github.com/mosabua/maven-android-sdk-deployer

5. All this and more is discussed on the Maven Android mailing list..
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/maven-android-developers <https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/maven-android-developers>

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

manfred