The artifacts have an identity. It matters where the artifacts were downloaded
from. Artifact A downloaded from X is not the same thing to Maven 3 as A
downloaded from Y. This can happen when you flip your settings.xml to go from
using a repository manager to using Maven Central directly for example.

There is currently no way to turn that off. But you can vote for the issue[1].

[1]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5181