On 14 December 2011 16:06, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:45:29 PM Benson Margulies wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Stephen Connolly
>>
>> <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > describe the problem better and point me to some sample code and i will
>> > have a think.
>> >
>> > but profiles containing (compile or runtime scope) deps activated based
>> > on the jre that maven is running is wrong wrong wrong, and will only
>> > lead to pain. (test and provided scope deps are still wrong in a
>> > profile but can be excused as they are non-transitive)
>>
>> The problem is this: different JDKs have different garbage in
>> 'endorsed' in the departments of XML and web services. There are
>> dependencies that have to be ADDED when running in some JDKs, and
>> others that need to be SUBTRACTED. Provided isn't going to work, since
>> (in the first case) we are adding things to the classpath that need to
>> be there to compensate for what isn't there in the particular kit. If
>> you want examples I can go dig them out.
>
> Here's a simple example:  JAXB
>
> On Java5, we have to add both a JAXB-API jar and a JAXB-IMPL jar (and other
> deps like stax-api) as there is no JAXB stuff built into the JDK.  We
> generally would prefer the latest JAXB stuff (2.2) here as there are no
> conflicts.
>
> On Java6, there is JAXB 2.1 stuff built in.  Thus, we DON'T want to add an API
> jar (extra deps pulled in unnecessarily), but we DO want to pull in a newer
> JAXB-IMPL that fixes  a bunch of bugs.  However, it needs to be the latest
> 2.1.x version, not the newer 2.2 versions as they won't work with the 2.1
> API's built into the JDK.  (and pulling in a newer API jar would require and
> endorsing mechanism to override the JDK version)
>
> On Java7, JAXB 2.2 is built in.   Again, we don't want to bring in an API jar,
> but we do want the latest 2.2 implementation.
>
> Suggestions?    It will be a bit easier once we drop support for Java5 and
> it's just between impls, but at this point, we do need java5 support.
>
> Dan

Well the key question is who needs these deps?

If it is the end users that need the deps... well here's the rub, you
will need to produce three artifacts, one for java 5, one for java 6
and one for java 7, in each case pulling in the required deps...

[but but but you stammer]

This is because if I build on Java 6 an app that targets support for
Java 5, then the (helpful) profile activation will bundle the Java 6
deps and not the Java 5 deps I need... making it almost impossible for
all but the hero of JDK version dancers to build on their Mac a CXF
app that targets a Java 5 environment.

On the other hand, it it is unit tests that need the deps... then
profiles may be the solution, but I would have a series of aggregator
projects with transitive deps to solve your issues, so that you pull
in compat-java5 or compat-java6 or compat-java7 with scope test in
each module.

And while you are at it, order a hit on whoever decided to add JAXB to
the endorsed list