Sorry for misunderstanding, I was talking more about wagon api which
can copy files even if the target is not a maven repo.

But http://mojo.codehaus.org/wagon-maven-plugin/upload-mojo.html
doesn't look to be limited to only maven repo target

see sample http://mojo.codehaus.org/wagon-maven-plugin/usage.html
(section "Configuration example to upload.")
not tested but looks to be nice to copy various files to a remote
server tru scp or any wagon protocol.