We use Nexus and it is well worth the hour to set it up.
RTFM carefully since the file setup is a bit different from what you might expect but if you do what it says, you will get it up very fast.
It will save you the hour in the first day that you work on your POC.
It will also make sure that your POC project is actually relevant. No point trying a POC that fails because you are missing a crucial part of the solution. Just because the Maven project does not include the repo side, does not mean that it is intended to be used without one. It just means that Maven does not care which repo you use. Pick one of the 3 available products.

Trust me (and everyone else that has responded to you) Maven without a repo is hell. You are only hitting the first of many issues that will plague your project if you try to run with only part of the environment.

You might as well do a proper POC with all the parts.
Ron