I should clarify,

Profiles in published poms are "ok"

Provided they do not affect in any way the dependency tree.

If they affect the dependency tree (either directly by adding
dependencies, or indirectly by modifying properties which affect the
dependency tree) then they are evil.

There may be some rare cases where indirect dependency tree
modification is "ok" but I have yet to see one.

-Stephen