Ok so I should create a base pom with a war configuration and then a separate
pom for each site that depends on this with overlays to add the extra
configuration file.
I will try.

If I am interpreting your comments correctly, profiles allow for a user to
flaten a maven build deployment, but this is a bad practice and it is better
to make your maven structure deep.

So are profiles going to be deprecated?   I would think I am not alone in
getting turned down the wrong path because most of the documentation/howtos
I have found point to using profiles.