Do not touch profiles until you have your build working without them.

As near as I can tell from the traffic here, they are intrinsically evil and should only be used in very specific situations.
They are not used for "normal" software projects.
They are not suitable for new Maven users.
They will lead you down the path to Maven hell and cause you no end of heartache.

Ron