On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Eric Kolotyluk <eric.koloty...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe this is too weird, but
>
> Has anyone ever used Maven as an installation tool?
>
> I've been thinking using Maven as a way to install and update software, and
> before I actually go and experiment with the idea I was wondering if other
> people have already thought of this. The idea would be that you have a
> simple bootstrap installer that installs and/or updates Maven first. Once
> Maven is installed/verified, you could then use it to pull down the rest of
> the solution artifacts from the network and then integrate them into the end
> solution. Over time you use the same mechanism to assist in software
> upgrades.
>
> I suspect some people already do something like this for enterprise web
> applications, but I was thinking of something like a desktop application.

Sonatype do some black magic for provision developer desktops, check
their website.
There was a demo I saw that pulled down your Eclipse binaries and
installing plugins and did some configuration stuff.
I believe that the bundling of the artifacts for provisioning live in
Nexus - not sure if its a p2 or maven repository.

As the other thread "Is Maven the Answer" says you may be better off
with a pure scripting language or Ant if you want to do non
build-lifecycle event handling.

Getting Maven to do what you are suggesting is not going to be simply
a matter of hooking assembly plugin together with some dependencies.
You are probably going to have to develop a plugin - at which point
you have to wonder whether it fits into the idea of Maven's lifecycle
(and I suggest not).

If you are running on Windows tools like SCCM do the installation
management for you.
Is it worth rolling your own?