You are right, when adding <type>ejb</type> it is working! I missed the fact
that maven coordinates include the packaging, while the default packaging is
<type>jar</type>. The odd thing is that dependency resolution is working
without that. So it actually seems, module resolution is working correctly
while dependency resolution ignores <type>.

Thanks a lot!
Markus