>> If you think you should be using profiles, think again. If you still
>> think they are the solution, please think it through once more. If you
>> still persist, go use Ant.
>> Profiles are simply very rarely a good solution.
>
> I'm using profiles at work for the sole purpose of deciding what to do
> with the build artifact, i.e. activating different deployment targets
> (application servers) for an EAR.

I see this as a completely different task where you're simply using
Maven as a utility tool. When using Maven as a "build tool", you will
be deploying the artifacts to a repository. What you then do with the
artifacts after that (like e.g. publish to an app server)  is outside
of the build story, and should be handled as a separate task. You
could use Maven to do that, and then you could have any number of
profiles to alter the behavior. But I want to stress that that's not a
build job.
This is my repository-focused view of things.

/Anders