On 18/03/2012 5:53 PM, Anders Hammar wrote:
If you think you should be using profiles, think again. If you still
think they are the solution, please think it through once more. If you
still persist, go use Ant.
Profiles are simply very rarely a good solution.
I'm using profiles at work for the sole purpose of deciding what to do
with the build artifact, i.e. activating different deployment targets
(application servers) for an EAR.
I see this as a completely different task where you're simply using
Maven as a utility tool. When using Maven as a "build tool", you will
be deploying the artifacts to a repository. What you then do with the
artifacts after that (like e.g. publish to an app server)  is outside
of the build story, and should be handled as a separate task. You
could use Maven to do that, and then you could have any number of
profiles to alter the behavior. But I want to stress that that's not a
build job.
This is my repository-focused view of things.

And a very sensible view at that!

/Anders

Ron Wheeler
President