On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 8:22 AM, mike digioia <mpd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Barrie,
>
> Sorry to take anymore of your time up. But I have not had any success with
> all the changes I have made to correct this problem. Based on your
> recommendation I suspect it is a mismatch in what I have in my code and in
> my pom/environment. I used mvn install to add jar files that I created
> manually (Old one was changed today to this in an attempt to correct it)
> Like this-
>
> conalab@ching-jen-laptop:~/.m2/repository/com/huawei/cona/android/zeroconf/jmdns/1.0$
> mvn install:install-file -Dfile=src.jmdns.jar -Dsources=src.jmdns.jar
> -DgroupId=src.jmdns -DartifactId=jmdns -Dversion=new -Dpackaging=jar
> -DgeneratePom=true
[del]
> [INFO] Installing
> /home/conalab/.m2/repository/com/huawei/cona/android/zeroconf/jmdns/1.0/src.jmdns.jar
> to /home/conalab/.m2/repository/src/jmdns/jmdns/new/jmdns-new-sources.jar
[del]
> As you can see this created new jar/pom files in my local repository. Then
> I also changed the source file using these new jars. The main issue that
> seem to cause my problem before was the use of "jmdns-1.0.jar" where the
> 1.0 in the name did not seem to be recommended in the write up about syntax
> used for packages in java. So this time I don't have any numbers. But I do
> have "jmdns-new.tar" for my new jar. The local (in repository) pom gets
> automatically created as this-

>  <groupId>src.service</groupId>
>  <artifactId>service</artifactId>
>  <version>new</version>
>  <description>POM was created from install:install-file</description>
> ****************************
>
> I also added this to my project pom (did same thing last time) as this -
>
>    </dependency>
>    <dependency>
>      <groupId>src.service</groupId>
>      <artifactId>service</artifactId>
>      <version>new</version>
>      <scope>system</scope>
>
> <systemPath>/home/conalab/.m2/repository/src/service/service/new/service-new.jar</systemPath>

[del]

> package com.huawei.cona.android.zeroconf;
>
> import java.io.IOException;
>
> import jmdns-new;
> import service-new;
[del]

I'm sorry, the short and blunt answer is you need to go on a Java course.
Start with http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial
Plus other replies have also provided other links you might find useful.

You are misunderstanding the fundamentals of programming in Java and
mixing up java archives (*.jar files) with java packages (the stuff
you import).
There is just way to much knowledge missing for people on this list to
help you out.

Once you have a solid foundation in Java, I recommend you read the
freely available books on Maven at
http://maven.apache.org/articles.html
This will help you understand what are good values for <version>, what
is the purpose of <scope>, why should avoid the use of
<scope>system</scope>.