Well this item isn't an artifact and I don't want to make one out of it.

I tried another approach which was to declare the resource w/o the basedir
reference in my parent pom:
<properties>

<myspecialresource.basedir>\src\main\MySpecialResource</myspecialresource.basedir>
</properties>

Then I referenced it like so with the ${project.parent.basedir} preceding
the resource property reference:
${project.parent.basedir}${myspecialresource.basedir}

This works when I build the whole project, but it doesn't work if I just
want to build the module.  It seems that maven doesn't properly reference
the parent basedir if you don't build from that directory.