I understand how Maven resolves dependencies (and transitive dependencies) at compile time, but does it bring anything to the table at run time?

For example, if I have in my application dependency list two versions of log4J (let's say version 8 and version 15), will I deploy both jars/version along with my app on say a tomcat server inside the war?

At runtime which one does it choose? If I am executing the code that depends on version 8, how would the correct jar be in the classpath at that point and later log4J version 15 be in my classpath when code that has that dependency executes?

At runtime, Maven is out of the picture correct? This is a missing piece for me.

thanks

J.V.