We started out with a "Yes".
As the number of modules grew to over 70 and the reasons for new releases got more functionally oriented, we went to "No".

Philosophically, we looked at our use of Apache libraries (and other third party libraries) and reasoned since we were very comfortable using third party libraries with version numbers that were different than our release, why should we be hung up on changing the version on something that did not change.

We also moved to SOA as a major architectural foundation so changes to the database and the API for the basic objects started to have less impact on the presentation and business layer since the services isolated the impact of low level changes to only those modules that need to deal with the updated data elements.

We went high-tech to manage the versions.
A spreadsheet listing the modules down the rows and the version of the module that is used in each of the releases in the column for each release.;-)

We have a team planning session at the start of each release to identify which modules will change. The definite need to look at each module in this initial stage as a team, also helps understand estimates and timelines a bit better.

We are mostly right at the start but sometimes we get a surprise during development and have to update the spreadsheet.

Saves hours of useless work and sometimes makes debugging a bit easier since you have a clearer idea about what module changed, when and why just by looking at the spreadsheet.

Downside: A bit messy looking in deployment.

We use Subversion and Eclipse STS so branching and tagging is available.

Ron