On 29 May 2012 14:53, Curtis Rueden <ctrue...@wisc.edu> wrote:
> Hi Rolf,
>

>> Unfortunately, there are already some 'third party' packages that depend
>> on jdom 2.0.1, and thus, people using the new jdom2 2.0.2 will have two
>> different versions of the same jar .... right? ... which is perhaps worse
>> than not having it at all ... ;-)
>>

> Since your goal is to allow JDOM 1.x and JDOM 2.x in the same JVM from a
> Maven project, publishing as org.jdom:jdom2:2.0.x seems like the way to go.
> You can continue publishing org.jdom:jdom:2.0.x as well; the duplication
> does not really cause any problems other than potential confusion.

Curtis,

the issue is transitive version resolution. If one of your
dependencies depends on org.jdom:jdom:1.x and the other depends on
org.jdom:jdom:2.x then you're going to end up with something broken as
maven will resolve only one version of org.jdom:jdom... so you will
end up having to play the exclusions game to stop that version being
pulled in and manually add a dependency to org.jdom:jdom2...

this is why one of the major feature adds I want to get into maven 4
is a provides scope.