Perso, I would do the opposite exclusions as AFAIK xalan artifacts
from xalan:xalan comes from apache folks.

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.ws.security</groupId>
            <artifactId>wss4j</artifactId>
            <version>${wss4j.version}</version>
            <exclusions>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>org.apache.xalan</artifactId>
                    <groupId>xalan</groupId>
                </exclusion>
            </exclusions>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>xalan</groupId>
            <artifactId>xalan</artifactId>
            <version>2.7.1</version>
        </dependency>

But that's my POV :-)

2012/7/5 Stadelmann Josef <josef.stadelm...@axa-winterthur.ch>:
> Wayne,
> the rampart-project.pom has the following.
>
> <!-- Other Rampart Dependencies -->
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.ws.security</groupId>
>             <artifactId>wss4j</artifactId>
>             <version>${wss4j.version}</version>
>             <exclusions>
>                 <!-- We exclude xalan:xalan as a transitive dependency, but
> include
>                      org.apache.xalan:xalan as a direct dependency. This
> avoids
>                      conflicts with the dependencies of org.opensaml:opensaml
>                      (which uses org.apache.xalan:xalan). -->
>

> to say is this is only true for opensaml-2.3.3 but not for opensaml-2.5.1
>
>                 <exclusion>
>                     <artifactId>xalan</artifactId>
>                     <groupId>xalan</groupId>
>                 </exclusion>
>             </exclusions>
>         </dependency>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.xalan</groupId>
>             <artifactId>xalan</artifactId>
>             <version>2.7.1</version>
>         </dependency>
>
> Josef

>>> Downloading:
>>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/xalan/xalan/2.7.1/xalan-2.7.1.p
>>> http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/downloads/maven2/org/apache/xalan/xalan/
>>> 2.7.1/xalan-2.7.1.pom
>>> where it ends in the nirvana as this EP is redirected
>>> http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/ explaing that stuuf has been moved.
>>>
>>> Josef
>>

> --
> Ron Wheeler