On 05/07/2012 10:59 AM, Wayne Fay wrote:
Am I mistaken to think that a
       <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf>

in my settings.xml will stop Maven from reaching a repo that someone defined
in a jar that I include as a dependency?
Yes, this is correct/what you want if you are running a "corporate
repo" and should prevent "leaks" by repos declared in various
dependency pom files.

There has been some discussion of changing Maven's code to ignore (or
add an option to do so) repos declared in pom files like this. I am in
support of such a change.
It does seem to be kind of a security risk to be able to sneak a repo into someone's environment like that. I am glad that you confirmed that a properly set up repo and settings.xml prevents this from happening.

In Josef's case, it would have changed the error and depending on what Maven says when it finds the repo in the dependency, he might still have been misled into trying to find the mis-configured xalan dependency which could have resulted in the same amount of frustration but directed in a different way.

At least he would not have had a missing dependency rather than a file that looked to be the right name but was just html.

There needs to a recognition on the part of the Maven development group that although repositories are not part of the development scope, they need to have a more prominent place in the Maven documentation. My experience of getting a repo latter in the maven adoption cycle, has really made me aware of how much harder it was for us to work with Maven and really understand the Maven philosophy before we had the repo.

Ron
Wayne

Ron Wheeler
President