Am 12.07.2012 23:19, schrieb Wayne Fay:
>> With JUnit everthing is perfekt on Linux and Windows. With Maven it
> What version of JUnit and how are you calling it?
>

>> works perfekt under Linux, but fails sometimes under Windows 7 64.
> What is the failure under Windows? Can you add code to trap that error
> and report the details? Do you have any idea why it fails sometimes
> but not always?
>

>> I know there is an issue with file handling on Windows that does not
>> exists on Linux, but wondering that JUnit do the trick and Maven don't
>> do it (sometimes).
>> Does anyone knows a solution, if it is a Maven problem?
> For good measure, I'd suggest adding config to your pom to specify the
> Surefire version:
>   <build>
>     <plugins>
>       <plugin>
>         <artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin</artifactId>
>         <version>2.12</version>
>         <dependencies>
>           <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.maven.surefire</groupId>
>             <artifactId>surefire-junit47</artifactId>
>             <version>2.12</version>
>           </dependency>
>         </dependencies>
>       </plugin>
>     </plugins>
>   </build>
>
> Windows is annoying for reasons like this so I try to stay on OSX and
> Linux whenever possible.
>
> Wayne

Damn, you made my day!
Now everything works like I expected.

Yes,  I understand if you don't want to download and execute code like
this. It was just a try to bring this thread fast forward. The
maven-surefire-plugin-hint above was all I needed.

I did the JUnit tests with version 4.8.1 using eclipse and just hit the
run button some times with no error. If I
do it with "mvn clean install" using the command prompt with the
following pom, I got an error after a few hits on enter.

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>test</groupId>
    <artifactId>maven-file-test</artifactId>
    <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <packaging>jar</packaging>
    <name>maven-file-test</name>
    <properties>
    </properties>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>junit</groupId>
            <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
            <version>4.8.1</version>
            <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>

My code is quite simple. A method that writes a file and another one
that deletes a file.
The first test inside the test class writes the file, the second test
case delete it.
And I know that it may failed because of the underlying platform like
the javadoc told, for example, in FileOutputStream.
After I added a third test case with a loop around writing and deleting
- which is much as faster as I can do it by pressing the
run button inside an IDE ;) - and after I added maven-surefire-plugin to
my pom like you told, I saw that
both executions (IDE and command prompt) ends with an error.
With the IDE after a while also and with the command prompt not as often
as before. The different frequency of the error appearance made me mad.

The next two questens I have to find out are:
1. What does the maven-surefire-plugin exactly do? It still fails, but
not so much like without it.
2. Is there a way to avoid running tests with maven depends on the OS if
I reach a level where
no independent solution exists like loading a C-lib for example, don't
care if it is a good idea?

Your hint let my go in the right direction again.
Thanks!