Thanks for your answer,

But somehow I disagree with you : a pom project might have to define dependencies. IMHO defining such a dependency (besides defining its version and scope in the dependency management) is legitimate if all of the projects having this pom as parent should have this dependency.

For example our parent pom which is the parent of all our other projects defines Junit as a dependency because we know all of our prejects are going to use Junit.

In my case all subprojects of A need D at least in scope test but some of them (which depends on B) appears to 'also' need D in scope compile.