What none of us know is the scope of changes between this artifact and the
original...

if all you are doing is rolling a cut from the latest SCM head because you
cannot wait for the next release => just change the version

if you are majorly refactoring in such a way that the API or behaviour
contract will be changed => change the groupId

if you are somewhere in between, you are going to have to make that call

-Stephen