What happens if any dependencies are looking for that support?

Will they bomb out or fail gracefully?

I.O.W. if you can still drop it in as a generic replacement => version
change

If you cannot use it as a generic replacement => different artifact =>
change groupId

for example...

I have https://github.com/stephenc/redmine-java-api which is
https://github.com/taskadapter/redmine-java-api switched to use slf4j in
place of some crappy piece of sh1t logging adapter code they rolled
themselves. Because I have altered the API contract by removing their
logging adapter code I maintain that at a different groupId. It is
otherwise API compatible, but the changes I have made are breaking changes
so I moved the groupId (never mind I needed a working version in central so
I had to change the groupId anyway... I *could* have got away with pushing
an alternative version number to our corp maven repo)