+1.
Seems to me it's the only sensible way to protect you from.outside behaving
badly.
I would write some script that check hashes, and upload
(deploy:deploy-file) the new binary if different from the last version.

Using any solution that would directly use the binaries on the network
share is just the first step on the road to hell :).

Cheers.