On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Lyons, Roy <roy.ly...@cmegroup.com> wrote:
> Ooh.  More on the original topic (big old trees and having to sort through
> stuff)
>
> mvn dependency:tree -Dverbose=true
>
> That¹s a powerful tool in your pruning crusade.  Putting verbose on will
> tell you about the decisions maven made in deciding which dependency
> versions to keep and where they came from.  Using this, you could also
> figure out what items you might like to put in <exclusions> block of
> dependency declarations.  Most likely you aren't using everything in your
> dependencies and you can figure out what fat you want to trimŠ
>
> Of course, this is the most intrusive and time consuming optionŠ  but I
> suspect that it will yield the greatest results.

With the recent(ish) change to aether for dependency resolution the
dependency plugin doesn't resolve the same information.
That has either been fixed, or is in the work of being fixed.

Running mvn -X will output the same level of dependency resolution
information plus you should get enough of a feel for where the actual
slowness is.
And then we can start looking at speeding up that slowness.
At the moment it feels like there is too much assumption and guesswork
to point to the correct steps.