Using either 3.1 or 3.2, a large project of mine has developed the
tendency to just keep running the site plugin forever when I run mvn
site-deploy with 3.0.4.

One aspect of this that I find confusing is this: 'validate' is not
listed as part of the site lifecycle, yet mvn site-deploy is most
definitely running executions bound to validate. If wanted something
to run very early in the normal lifecycle and not when building the
site, any suggestions?

I see a lot of messages about forking, and it seems to be running the
same stuff over, and over, and over again.

mvn site:site does not suffer from this effect.

Any suggestions for tracking this down?