On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Alberto Ivo <alberto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me see if I got it:

You are to be forgiven for not fully understanding.

The Maven documentation makes extensive reference to the <repository>
element, and even instructs you on how to add it to your pom.xml (
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-repositories.html#Using_the_Internal_Repository
).

But the community came to realize over time this was a bad idea.  However,
I can't find a reference in the official Maven documentation that says this
is a bad idea.  (Maybe it's there and I'm just missing it.)

If you look in the Maven documentation, you will find a document that says,
hey, a repository manager is a good idea (
http://maven.apache.org/repository-management.html).

But this documentation doesn't say, "please don't put <repository> elements
in your pom".  It probably should.

For that, you have to know about this:
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/02/why-putting-repositories-in-your-poms-is-a-bad-idea/
.

The short answer is, your pom.xml should not have a <repository> element in
it anywhere.

Best,
Laird
--