On 25/10/2012 02:47, Barrie Treloar wrote:
Maven will needless contact all five of your repositories looking for
artifacts that probably aren't even there.
This will require a tcp/ip connection for each one and when you have
large dependencies this can significantly slow down your build.
Which is why we all recommend putting a Maven Repository Manager (MRM)
in between you and the rest of the w
orld.
I've always had a doubt about this and it's about giving the world the option to do just 'mvn install/deploy' to build a project, after having downloaded the sources. If my project depends on some non-common repository, such as the company repository, putting it in the POM makes external users/developers's life as easy as that, if such repo is in some local settings only, you need at least to document the extra-step about the need to add it in anyone else's local configuration.

Does anyone know a compromise between these two extremes? Can repositories declared in the POM be disabled by, eg, a profile in settings?

Thanks in advance,

Marco.