Up until m-c-p 2.5ish the default value for source was 1.3.

That was updated and newer versions of m-c-p use 1.5 as the default

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/compile-mojo.html#source

Maven 3.1.0 will have m-c-p's default version pinned at least at 2.5, so
when that gets released you will have, by default, the source level at 1.5
(unless you downgrade your m-c-p plugin or override it to something lower