Hi,

> I have never seen any java application fail just because I run the
> version 7 VM. Even really old code still runs.

A couple of Atlassian applications I work with in our department that
didn't run (fine) with Java 7:

- JIRA <= 5.1.x (5.2 was released ~3 weeks ago)
- Bamboo <= 3.2.x (3.3 was released 11 october 2011)
- Confluence <= 4.1.x (4.2 was released 10 april 2012)

etc.
It took quite a long time for the manufacturer to implement the necessary
changes to let their products work with Java 7. JIRA for example wouldn't
even start correctly when using 1.7.* and instead threw lots of exceptions
in its log, whereas for at least Confluence 4.1.x there were some
workarounds to let it run with a JVM 7...

In our department we had a very old legacy application written by some
colleagues back in the days of Java 1.2 when the first Swing UI came out.
They told me they had lots of problems with former Swing UI bugs and
programmed workarounds to get the application finally work with Java 1.4.
These workarounds didn't work correct anymore with Java 5 (Swing bugs were
fixed?), i.e. the application's UI had some nice "features" a.k.a bugs :-o

Unfortunately they weren't given the time to fix them (you know, the usual
problems with sales that had other priorities...) so they had to stick
with Java 1.4 until ~2.5 years ago (!), until the application finally died
about one year ago. That's life...

Regards

Thorsten